An extension to a Gd.2 Listed Cotswolds farmhouse dating from the mid 1500’s.
The existing dining rooms in this historic farmhouse lacked any connection with the garden, having small windows and no direct access. Our clients, both very keen gardeners and cooks, commissioned us to change things.
We designed a new dining room extension with an oversized bay window to provide generous views of the beautiful gardens. Double doors to the side of the extension allow direct access to the outside dining space.
Whilst the majority of the extension is given over to dining, there is also a new back door into a boot room and utility, ideal for coming in from the garden. There is also a new WC and cloakroom for dinner guests.
Despite being a Gd.2 Listed Building, a constraint which would usually rule out extensions, we engaged the local authority Conservation Officer in early pre-application discussions and were able to gain consent for this modern addition, as well as internal alterations to the layout.
Materials were chosen to compliment and reflect the black timbers and white-painted brickwork of the Listed Building. These were minimally detailed in order to delineate between the extension and historic building in a complimentary way, an approach particularly appreciated by the Conservation Officer.